A Green Sanctuary
In 2007, the Unitarian Church of Calgary achieved recognition as a “Green Sanctuary.” Being a Green Sanctuary is one of the ways we work toward a vision of healthier, more sustainable future.
Green Sanctuary is now a standing committee. Its goals are:
- To build awareness of societal environmental issues among Unitarians
- To generate commitment for personal lifestyle changes
- To motivate Unitarians to community action on environmental issues
- To build a connection between spiritual practice and environmental consciousness
- To build awareness of and rectify environmental injustices.
Among our green action initiatives are:
- Film nights featuring an environmental issue. Join us for a movie and a lively discussion afterwards
- Gardening talks by local experts in partnership with the Calgary Horticultural Society and the Permaculture Calgary Guild
- A community garden program at the church assigns raised beds to people wishing to raise their own vegetables
- Participation in protest marches and letter-writing related to climate change issues
We invite all who share these values to join us on this journey of connection, sustainability, and hope. Contact our Green Sanctuary Committee to get involved.