Calgary Unitarians www.calgaryunitarians.ca is looking for an Interim Music Director and Accompanist for the church year of 2022- 23. This position works closely with the Minister in planning and carrying out the music for worship services. Our choir, UUphonia, consists of 20 – 30 voices, and enjoys singing 3- and 4- part music as well as unison pieces. A friendly, enthusiastic music community who love to sing together!
This contract is effective from September 01 to December 31, 2022 initially, with a potential extension until June 30, 2023. Our staff music director is on medical leave.
The Interim Music Director will provide the services described below:
- Plan and lead choir rehearsals on Thursday evenings from 7:30 pm – 9:30 pm at Calgary Unitarians building (1703- 1st Street NW). Rehearsal will include learning and /or practicing hymn pieces and anthems for Sunday services, and preparation for two seasonal concerts (winter season and a themed spring “Cabaret”).
- Lead the choir in preparing and presenting an anthem and a hymn in Sunday services once or twice a month.
- Act as accompanist for each Sunday service (10:30 am – 11:30 am) to provide a prelude, hymns, and incidental music as agreed with the Minister.
- Occasionally work with amateur and professional musicians and singers to provide variety to Sunday services.
- Provide, from time to time, music for Calgary Unitarians’ Children and Youth program.
Further requirements will be negotiated and written into the Interim Music Director’s agreement.
Financial compensation will be $2,000-2,300 per month depending on experience.
Deadline: July 31st 2022. Interviews will be in August for a September 1st start date.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and any audio or video samples to the hiring team at email@example.com.