What to Expect in Services
Our services vary in style: from formal services to informal “Spirit Jams”, from traditional row seating to seating in a circle or breaking out into small groups. Typically, elements of our services include:
- Words of welcome
- Lighting a flaming chalice, the symbol of our faith
- A multigenerational segment, such as a “story for all ages”
- Music, both instrumental and vocal and in a variety of styles
- A time for lifting up the joys and concerns of the congregation
- A meditation or prayer
- Readings—ancient or contemporary
- A reflection given by a professional minister, a guest speaker, or a member of the congregation
- An offering, collecting financial donations for the congregation. Half of the unidentified donations are given to our “4 Others” program for justice work in the community.
- We usually close by holding hands and singing a blessing
From time to time, services incorporate holiday celebrations, multigenerational plays and pageants, longer musical performances, child dedications, and coming-of-age ceremonies.
Our services last 60-75 minutes. After the service there is a time for fellowship and refreshments, and sometimes a shared lunch.